Today, I decided to make me a priority. Sound selfish doesn’t it?
Well, I don’t think it is. I’m not saying that I’m top priority and that everything and everyone else is no longer important. I’m just saying that for a couple of years now, I have not made myself a priority…at all really!
I’ve been being a mum, a wife, a boss, a businesswoman, a project manager and have been busier than I’ve ever been in my life, in terms of how I fill my daily hours. But, I very rarely put some true time aside for me and just me.
Making Me a Priority
So what do I actually mean when I say this? I mean that lately, I’ve had a really good think about myself and what I want for myself and the steps I need to take to get there.
Starting a Business
Since finishing my maternity leave, I’ve started my own businesses and am making being a #mumboss work for me! I’m still in the very infancy of this and I can see where it’s going…for now.
Healthy Body, Healthy Mind
Now this area of myself has fallen right to the bottom of my priority list this last couple of years. Since having a baby, I’ve really not dedicated as much time as I’d like to getting back into shape. Yes, I’m on Slimming World (and stick to it…loosely!), but it’s taken me over a year to lose a stone and a half. I know that if I’d put my mind to it, this could have taken me just a few months, but the priority was never really there.
I’ve slimmed-down, but I’ve not toned-up and I’ve not concentrated on my fitness either. Again, the priority hasn’t been there.
So when I say that I’m making me a priority, I mean I’m going to get fit and work on my body. Spend some time in the gym and have some “me time”. Some space.
I’m a firm believer that a healthy body, means a healthy mind. I think working-out releases endorphins, makes you happier and clears your mind and makes you more productive. This will make me a better me, a better mum and a better businesswoman…I believe, (I hope!).
So how am I making me a priority? It’ll be baby steps, but…
- I’m going to ensure that I make the time to workout at least 3 times a week.
- I’ve joined the gym! (Workout 1 officially completed this morning!)
- I’ll mix it-up with some home workouts, courtesy of Vicki Mellard PT so no excuses! ( See them here – Workout 1, Workout 2, Workout 3).
- I’ll have a long, hot soak in a bath full of bubbles at least once a week.
- I’ll get back in the game when it comes to Slimming World, as I know it works for me – I just need to re-focus and start counting my syns!
My personal goals
Broadly speaking, my personal goals are:
- Lose another half stone.
- Tone up all over!
- Get addicted to the gym (ok, so “addicted” might be pushing it a bit, maybe just “tolerate it”).
- Continue to grow my business.
- Continue to be a good mum, who will be more fit for her increasingly energetic toddler.
- Set a good example to said toddler.
And that’s it in a nutshell – how I’ve decided that I’m going to be making me a priority.
What do you think? Have you had moments like this where you’ve decided that you’re just not putting you first and reaching your goals?