As you know I love food and I do occasionally like to cook myself (when I have time). I’m also a mother to a 14 month old, who is discovering the world of food and trying new things all the time. Therefore thinking of new things to cook and eat, that she can also enjoy, is an on-going process.
You can buy lots of ready-made snacks for weaning babies and toddlers, but I do like to occasionally try and make things from scratch too (although I can’t pretend to be one of the mothers I admire that makes everything fresh, in batches and freezes things so there’s always a healthy, homemade meal for their child at hand’s reach).
One thing that is a great go-to snack for mummy, daddy and little one, are these Cheese Muffins. They’re super easy to make, healthy and kids love them.
So just a quick post today, with the recipe. If I can make them successfully, anyone can!
Prep time is about 15 mins and cooking time about 20 mins.
- 1.5 cups plain flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 2 cups of grated cheddar (the stronger the better for more taste!)
- 0.5 cups skimmed milk
- 0.5 cups 0% fat plain yoghurt
- 1 beaten egg
- 0.25 cup of melted butter or margarine
You can add paprika, small pieces of chopped ham or chopped spring onions for a yummy variation.
- Preheat over to 400f or 200c. Butter a muffin tray.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Stir in the grated cheese and black pepper to taste.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the beaten egg, milk, yoghurt and melted butter. Then add to the dry mix.
- Fold in the two mixtures until the dry mix is just wet and there’s no dry bits left.
- Spoon into the muffin molds (this should make about 12 good sized muffins).
- You can dust the top with paprika and grated cheddar for a yummy finishing touch.
- Bake in the over for about 20-25 mins, until nicely risen and golden brown.
You can enjoy them still warm from the oven (my favourite) or as a cold snack the next day. Just keep them in an air tight container and they should last a couple of days.
Do you like my recipe posts? Should I do more?